What Is a Certificate of Currency?

We explain what a certificate of currency is, when you need it, and how to get it.

A certificate of currency (CoC) is a document issued by your home insurance company that confirms that you’re insured.

When do I need to provide one?

We would typically request for a certificate of currency during the application process if you’re:

  • Purchasing an existing property
  • Refinancing your home loan

It’s required for your home loan if your property isn’t covered by strata or body corporate.

When updating your policy with your insurer, please ensure that the Commonwealth Bank of Australia is listed as the interested party.

You must ensure that the insurance cover held for any security property remains current and covers against fire, storm, tempest, and other unforeseen hazards. The coverage should at least equate to the full replacement cost of any building or other improvements on the property insured. The insurer and their terms and conditions must be acceptable to us.

When don’t I need one?

You won’t need to offer a certificate of currency to us if you’re:

  • Purchasing vacant land – As there is no building to insure, you won’t need to prove that you have insurance.
  • Building a home - The builder’s insurance will usually cover your home until it’s complete. We’ll ask for the builder’s insurance prior to releasing the first payment to the builder.
  • Own an apartment, unit or townhouse - Strata corporations cover apartments, units, and townhouses, hence you won’t usually need to provide a certificate of currency.

What happens if I don’t have one?

If you’re required to provide a certificate of currency and don’t have one, it usually means that we won’t be able to settle the purchase and legally allow the sale to finalise until you can prove that you’ve insured your property.

As a result, you’ll need to request for one by contacting your insurance provider. Make sure you state who wants the certificate, in this case, it would be, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, for your insurer to specify it on the document.

Why does Unloan need a certificate of currency?

This is used to protect us in the event that your property is damaged by an unexpected event such as a fire, storm, or theft.

What details are included in a certificate of currency?

It generally states that the insurance policy is effective and valid and provides the relevant information:

  • Insured party details – Name/s and residential addresses of the insured party (borrower/s)
  • Policy details - Insurance policy number and expiration date.
  • Limit to protection – The maximum amount of money that the policy covers.
  • Premium paid – Information on the premium paid by the insured party, the date and payment method.

More questions?
We have more answers.

Chat to us

Got a question?
Ask us anything.

Understand your eligibility
Check and submit your application
Get support every step of the way

There's plenty more to love