External support services

When you need some extra support and care, there are government and community services that may be able to support you.

Financial hardship

  • National Debt Helpline 1800 007 007
    Offers independent free and confidential services from professional financial counsellors to help you tackle your debt problems.
  • Way Forward 1300 045 502
    A not-for-profit organisation that helps people facing long-term financial hardship manage their debts and debt negotiation where you have debts at multiple lenders.

Domestic and family violence

  • 1800Respect 1800 737 732
    24 hour confidential telephone and online counselling support.
  • Mensline 1300 789 978
    24 hour confidential telephone and online counselling support for men.
  • QLife (LGBTQI+) 1800 184 527
    Telephone and online counselling service for LGBTI individuals impacted by domestic and family violence.
  • No to Violence (Men’s Referral Service) 1300 766 491
    Confidential counselling service for male perpetrators of violence wanting to address and change their behaviours.
  • Good Shepherd  1300 050 150 (weekdays 9am - 5pm AEST) or email [email protected]
    Through the Financial Independence Hub, Good Shepherd helps people who have previously experienced financial abuse in their journey to long-term financial recovery - regardless of who they bank with. The service provides free specialist one-on-one financial coaching to help people impacted build confidence and capability in managing their own finances, with referrals to support services and, where appropriate, access to financial solutions like interest-free loans.

Older Australians

  • Better Place Australia 1800 639 523
    Supports older people in resolving conflict and preventing elder abuse. Provides a range of mediation and counselling services for families, as well as financial counselling.

Elder abuse & Guardianships

You can access elder abuse information and support, as well as Guardianship information and applications, in your state:

  • NSW: NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) 1300 006 228 has information on Guardianships, financial management and how to appoint a financial manager if you or a loved one is incapable of making their own decisions about their finances.
  • VIC: Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) 1300 309 337 has information on Guardians and administrators and how to appoint one.
  • QLD: Office of Public Guardian (OPG) 1300 653 187 has information on elderly abuse as well as Guardianship and decision-making if you or a loved one has lost capacity to make decisions.
  • SA: South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) 1800 723 767 has information on Guardianship, including how to apply and how to resolve a related issue.
  • NT: Darwin Community Legal Service has an Elder Abuse Information Line – 1800 037 072.
  • WA: Western Australia Elder Abuse Helpline 1300 724 679 (freecall 1800 655 566), or email [email protected]
  • ACT: Older Persons ACT Legal Service (OPALS) (02) 6243 3436, or email [email protected]
  • TAS: Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 441 169 (9am-5pm), or text 0457 806 963, or email [email protected]

Family and relationships

  • Carer Gateway 1800 422 737
    Online and phone service that provides information to carers. Gateway also provides home modification services.

Mental health

  • Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
    24 hour counselling for those experiencing poor mental health such as anxiety or depression.

Government and legal services


  • Australian Red Cross 1800 811 700
    Australian Red Cross provides information about advocacy, relief and support services for vulnerable people in need and helps to connect migrants with essential support services.


  • Government – Bereavement Assistance  132 300
    Information on payments available when a partner, child or person someone cares for has died.


  • National Disability Services 1800 200 110
    Australia's peak industry body for non-government disability service organisations. Collectively, 1,000 NDS members operate several thousand services for Australians with all types of disability. Refer to website for contact phone numbers in each state.

Natural disaster

  • SES assistance in floods and storms 132 500

Serious illness

  • Cancer Council Australia 13 11 20
    A confidential service for anyone looking for cancer information or support. The line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (cost of a local call, except from mobiles).
  • Capacity Australia 0400 319 089
    Provides free education and information sessions on advocacy services for older people and those with disabilities, such as rights and responsibilities within the aged- and community-care sectors.
  • Dementia Australia 1800 100 500
    Advocates for people living with all types of dementia, and for their families and carers. Provides support services, education and information.
  • Palliative care (02) 6232 0700
    Improving the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problem associated with life-threatening illness.


  • Counselling Online – Drug and Alcohol Support
    Online support and referrals to relevant state based counselling services.
  • Gambling Help 1800 858 858
    Counselling, information and support for individuals and partners, families affected by gambling.